An Oakland Calfornia based Tax Return Preparation Firm - Company Message
Investment in Rental Income Properties

This link takes to you what is called publication 17. Chapter nine is about real estate taxation.

A popular form of long-term investment is real estate rentals. Rentals can fall
into several varieties, of which real estate rentals is the most common.
This material will explain some of the tax ramifications of renting real estate,
both residential and commercial.

One of the biggest benefits of owning rental property is that the tenants, over
time, buy the property for you. In addition, if structured properly, the
allowable depreciation deduction will shelter the rental income. Another
historical benefit of real estate rentals is capital appreciation.

Before acquiring a rental property, consider the following:

• After-tax cash flow,
• Potential for long- or short-term appreciation,
• Property condition (with an eye on when you might get stuck with a large repair bill),
• Debt reduction,
• Type of tenants,
• Potential for rent increases or re-zoning, and
• Whether there is community rent control, etc.

Although most of the considerations are subjective, the after tax
cash flow can be estimated fairly easily.

Operating Expense

For tax purposes, you will figure your profit or loss each year from operating
the rental property. Generally, you can deduct all expenses incurred to operate
the rental. The following are potential operating expenses that are deductible:

• Advertising
• Cleaning & maintenance
• Bank charges – if a separate account is maintained.
• Insurance – fire, casualty and liability
• Utilities – gas, electricity, water, cable, etc.
• Services(1) – yard care, pool service, pest control, etc.
• Rental commissions
• Property management fees
• Mortgage interest – on debt to acquire or improve
the rental.
• Property taxes
• Repairs – see repairs vs. improvements below. (1)
• Local transportation expenses
• Homeowners or association dues
• Tax return preparation fees
• Depreciation allowance – see depreciation below.

(1) If any individual or company providing these services is paid $600 or
more during the year, you are required to issue them a 1099MISC.

Repairs vs. Improvements

When figuring your profit or loss from operating the rental property each year
you can deduct the cost of repairs to the rental property. However,
any improvements that were made must be depreciated over the
improvement’s useful life.

How do you distinguish a repair from an improvement?

• Repairs – A repair keeps your property in good operating
condition and does not materially add to the value of your
property or substantially prolong its life.

• Improvements – An improvement will add to the value
of the property, prolong its useful life, or adapt it to new
uses. If you make an improvement to a property, the cost
of the improvement must be capitalized.

Depreciating Rental Property

“Depreciation” is an accounting term for writing off the wear and tear on an asset
that has a useful life of more than one year and costs over $100. Generally, rental
real estate improvements must be depreciated over a period of 39 years. However,
there are exceptions for residential rental real estate, which is depreciated over 27.5 years and most personal property such as furniture, equipment, etc., which is depreciable over 5 or 7 years. There are additional special rules applying to land rentals, leasehold improvements and restaurants.

Passive Loss Limitations

Rental real estate income is business income but is not subject to Social Security taxes. Real estate rentals are also considered passive activities. Generally, passive activity losses are only deductible to the extent of passive activity income. However, there are two exceptions to that rule:

(1) Active Participation – If you “actively participate” in the residential rental activity, you may be able to deduct a loss of up to $25,000 ($12,500 if you're married, file separately, and live apart from your spouse for the entire year – but if you're married, file separately and don't live apart from your spouse for the entire year, you're not eligible for this break at all) against ordinary (nonpassive) income, such as your wages or investment income. You actively participate in the rental activity if you make key management decisions or arrange for others to provide services. Active participation does not require regular, continuous and substantial involvement with the property. But in order to satisfy the active participation test, you (together with your spouse) must own at least 10% of the rental property. Ownership as a limited partner does not count. If your adjusted gross income (AGI) is above $100,000, the $25,000 allowance amount is reduced by one-half the excess over $100,000. (If you're married, file separately and are eligible for the break,the $12,500 allowance amount is reduced by one-half the excess over $50,000.) Under this rule, if the AGI is $150,000 or more ($75,000 or more for eligible married taxpayers who file separately), the allowance is reduced to zero. For these purposes, AGI is modified to some extent, e.g., you ignore taxable Social Security income and the Individual Retirement Account (IRA) deduction, and
( 2 ) Real Estate Professional Exception – If you qualify as a “real estate professional” (which requires the performance of substantial services in real property trades or businesses), your rental real estate activities are not automatically treated as passive, and so losses from those activities can be deducted against earned income, interest, dividends, etc., if you materially
participate in the activities.

Any losses not allowed under these two exceptions are not lost but suspended, and carried forward indefinitely to tax years in which your passive activities generate enough income to absorb the losses.

Special Situations

There are a number of special circumstances involving the rental of real estate.

• First, Last and Security Deposits – Generally, landlords require a new tenant to pay the first and last month’s rent in advance along with a security deposit. The IRS says that advance rent payments are income in the year received. However, security deposits you plan to return to your tenant at the end of the lease are not income. But if you keep part or all of the security deposit during any year because your tenant does not live up to the terms of the lease, then the amount kept is income for that year.

• Renting Part of Property – If you rent part of your property, you must divide certain expenses between the part used for rental purposes and the part used for personal purposes, as though you actually had two separate pieces of property. You can deduct the expenses related to the part of the property used for rental purposes, such as home mortgage interest and real estate taxes, as rental expenses. You can also deduct as a rental expense other expenses that are normally nondeductible personal expenses, such as utilities and home
repairs. You do not have to divide the expenses that belong only to the rental
part of your property. Generally, the most frequently-used methods of allocating
expenses between personal and rental use are:

(1) based on the number of rooms in the home, and
(2) based on the square footage of the home. You can use
any reasonable method for dividing the expense.

• Separating Improvements from Land – Not all of the cost of acquiring
real estate is depreciable. Specifically, the cost of the land is not depreciable
and must be separated from the improvements.

• Renting to a Relative – Special rules may apply when renting a home
or apartment to a relative. If you rent a home to a relative who: (1) uses it as
his or her principal residence (that is, not just as a second or vacation home)
for the year, and (2) it is rented at a fair rental value (not ata discount),
then no limitations apply. You simply treat it like any other rental
property. However, if it is rented to a relative below fair rental value, all
of the expenses, except mortgage
interest and property taxes, are
considered personal expenses and therefore not deductible.

• Vacation Home Rental– There are special tax consequences when you
rent out your vacation home for part of the year. The tax treatment depends
on how many days it is rented and your level of personal use. Personal
use includes vacation use by your relatives (even if you charge them market
rate rent) and use by non-relatives if a market rate rent is not charged.
When determining the personal-use days, do not include days when you
are performing repairs or fixing up the property.

Selling, Exchanging
or Converting the Rental

Buying, operating and selling a rental property can have profound
tax ramifications. Rental property, if owned for longer than a year or if
inherited, will qualify for long-term capital gains when sold. This means any
gain is taxed at a maximum of 15% with one exception. The exception is
recaptured depreciation which, depending upon your tax bracket, can be taxed
up to 25%. When it comes time to cash in on a rental investment, there
are a number of options available to the owner:

• Outright Sale – When a rental property is sold outright, the entire gain
will be taxable in the year of sale.

• Installment Sale – If the seller carries back a note (mortgage) for all or part
of the buyer’s purchase price, the seller qualifies for installment sale
treatment, which in effect spreads the taxation of the gain over the life of
the note.

• Convert to Personal Use– The rental can be converted to personal use of
the taxpayer and any gain deferred until the property is ultimately sold.

• Tax-Deferred Exchange– A tax-deferred exchange can be used as a means
of avoiding immediate taxation on the gain from a rental property by deferring
the gain into a replacement property.

Business or Investment Use Requirement – To qualify for a Sec 1031 exchange, the properties exchanged must both be held for business or investment use.

Like-Kind Requirement – The properties exchanged must be like-kind (similar in nature, but not necessarily of the same quality). Real estate must be exchanged for real estate (improved or unimproved qualifies).

Caution: Sometimes real estate is held in a partnership or other entity. Generally, an entity ownership does not qualify as like-kind. Although, tenant-in-common interests(sometimes referred to as TICS), if structured properly, can.

Property Acquired with Intent to Exchange – If a taxpayer acquires (or constructs) property solely for the purpose of exchanging it for like-kind property, the IRS says that the taxpayer doesn't hold the property for productive use in a trade or business or for investment, and as to the taxpayer, the exchange doesn't qualify for non-recognition treatment under Code Sec. 1031.

Simultaneous or Delayed – The exchange can be simultaneous or delayed. If delayed, the property received in the exchange must be identified within 45 days after the property given is transferred. No matter how many properties are given up in an exchange, a taxpayer is allowed to designate a maximum of either:

(a) Three replacement properties regardless of FMV, or
(b) Any number of properties, as long as the total FMV isn’t more than 200% of the total FMV of all properties given up.

If a taxpayer identifies replacement properties over these limits, he/she is treated as if none were identified. A taxpayer can, however, revoke an identification at any
time before the end of the 45-day time period.

The receipt of the new property must be completed before the EARLIER of:

(1) 180 days after the transfer of the property given, OR
(2) The due date (including extensions) of the return for the year in which the property given was transferred.

Qualified Intermediary – Generally, to qualify for a delayed Sec 1031 exchange, a qualified intermediary is engaged to hold the funds from the sale until the
replacement purchase is made. It is important to understand that the taxpayer cannot take possession of the proceeds from the sale and then buy another property. If that happens, the event does not qualify for exchange and is immediately taxable.

Reverse Exchanges – It is possible to structure a reverse exchange that complies with the Section 1031 delayed exchange requirements. However, it requires that the replacement property be purchased first, by the intermediary, without the benefits of the proceeds from the property given up in the exchange. Thus, only taxpayers with the cash financial resources can accomplish reverse exchanges. Tax-deferred exchanges can be very tricky and should not be entered into without first analyzing the tax aspect.

This is one of the helpful handouts about taxes that we provide. Feel free to request others. We can email them to you.

Dimond Tax Services

Quality Tax Preparation at Reasonable Prices


Real Estate

Website Builder provided by  Vistaprint